Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Wandering around town

I spent today wandering around the little shops found around the main bus stand in Arusha with Katie, Martha and Anna. (Anna has just arrived in Arusha on Thursday to join the Maternity Africa team.)

 "Mama, mama... look inside my shop."

The fabric and dress shops are such a riot of colour.









We then walked across to the area of town where a lot of Maasai men sell rough Tanzanite, produced from under their shukas.



We found a large group around some tables, but as we approached for a closer look a fight broke out, so we quickly walked away.






 mural - men's suit for sale


gutter shot

I enjoyed the time very much.

It was only marred at the beginning of our wander, when two drunk men latched onto us and would not leave us alone. They became quite abusive when we eventually told them to go away. It is the first time in two years I have heard the f word spoken by a Tanzanian (although I am sure it happens quite a bit), and the first time it has ever been yelled at me on the street.

1 comment:

  1. Love the colours! The gutter reminds me of Pakistan. We used to have one right outside our compound.

    ReplyDelete