Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

d.light


In our time in Arusha I have tried out several solar lighting options due to the amount of power cuts we have (and they have been particularly bad during the last week!).

This is my favourite option. The d.light S20. It lives up to all of its promises.
  • Two brightness settings
    • 4 Hours on High
    • 8 Hours on Medium
  • Free 2-Year Replacement Warranty
  • > 5 Year Lifetime
  • No Battery Replacements Needed
  • Integrated Solar Panel
  • Dual Solar / AC Charging
  • Full Charge from Solar/AC – 8 Hours
  • Battery Charge Level Indicator
  • Glow In the Dark On/Off Button
  • Weather, Dust and Impact Resistant
I first came across them when we stayed at the Tarangire Safari Lodge, and was impressed with the amount of light they cast. I then found them for sale in Arusha and bought two.

Since then I have read about the company that produces them and am really impressed. They claim on their web site to have:

As of Aug 31, 2013, d.light has achieved the following impact:
Read more here.



A supply of light is something I take for granted. Even living in Arusha I grumble when the power goes off and we begin the process of lighting candles etc. Such a first world problem, when just outside our gates there are many people who live by the light of a kerosene lamp every night.

I am going to try and purchase more of these solar lanterns, to give to some Tanzanians in our community, who have no source of power at all.
If you would like to buy one for someone let me know - they cost 22,000Tsh (about 18 Australian dollars).

2 comments:

  1. Jenny,
    Where did you get them? When we return I would like to get some for us and maybe Hayley's??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I bought them at Bensons. They always seem to have a supply of them. xx

      Delete