Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2013

A new pet


A young boy just came to our gate offering to sell us a tortoise.
Andrew asked him where he found it. The answer was up the mountain, a long way up.

I paid 15,000 Tsh (about $10) for it (him?).

He was surprisingly fast on his feet when I set him down in our yard.

 
 
I know that I have saved him from being someone's dinner... but will now worry about him escaping onto the road when I am not watching.
 
I think we will take him up to the school house and ask the guards to build an enclosure for him.
 
 
8 hours later... we are calling him Victor ("One Foot in the Grave" reference there), despite not knowing what sex it actually is. And I have discovered that tortoises make a rather alarming noise when they don't want to be disturbed - this I discovered when I put him in the laundry for safe keeping overnight.

4 comments:

  1. What was he doing up the mountain????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in the forest peacefully maybe? Until someone saw the chance to make some money!

      Delete
  2. Well I hope he was born up there and didn't have to walk all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he was racing a hare.
    (sorry)

    ReplyDelete