Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Local well & confusing time

This is our local well, about 100m from our gate. At certain times of the day many women gather around the well to collect water - they seem to know when to come. Apparently at given times during the day water is released from the mountain (Meru) streams, and each person has an allowance.


And this was a surprise to me. Telling the time.
If you are a Swahili speaker, time is measured differently to the Western world. For example, 7am my time is 1 o'clock African time. This can cause great confusion when organising times to meet tradesmen etc.
It is also causing great confusion in my brain.

4 comments:

  1. More amazing things to learn. How much I take for granted turning on the tap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds tricky, I'm sure you'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would surely do my head in as well! Missing you guys so much, but looks like you are having a wonderfully rich time in Arusha... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does the African clock work?

    ReplyDelete