I found these 10 facts about Arusha on someone else's blog (Michael Sanders - I hope you don't mind that I have used them!):
- The Clocktower, a famous Arusha monument, is purportedly situated at the mid-point between
and Cairo . Cape Town
- The John Wayne movie Hatari! was filmed in Arusha. In the final scenes of the movie, a baby elephant runs amok in the business area around the Clocktower.
- There are only three movie theatres in
, and Arusha has one of them! Tanzania
- The Arusha Accords were signed at Arusha on
August 4, 1993, by representatives of competing factions in the Rwandan civil war, thus officially ending the Rwandan genocides.
- Since 1994, Arusha has hosted the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, which for the past 18 years has been trying and prosecuting participants in the Rwandan genocides.
- Although Arusha is situated close to the Equator, it enjoys a temperate year-round climate due to its altitude, with an average annual temperature of 25.1 degrees.
- Arusha was founded by German colonialists in 1900, and for a long time remained a German stronghold until the British expelled them in 1916.
- Official documents ceding independence to
(before it was called Tanganyika were signed by the Tanzania) at Arusha in 1961. The Arusha Declarations for Self Reliance were signed in 1967 in Arusha. United Kingdom
- In the video game Halo 3, a highway sign is seen that says "Arusha", though it is crossed out, suggesting that the city was destroyed by the Covenant or the Flood.
- Arusha is
’s safari capitol, and acts as the gateway to several important safari destinations such as the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania , Lake Manyara , and Tarangire National Park Mount Kilimanjaro. There are over 200 safari companies in Arusha alone.